Sunday, February 14, 2010

Eggs Benedict

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!! As my hubby was going to be working tonight, I decided to do him a cooked brekkie and lunch before he heads off. Eggs benedict being his favourite, was an easy choice for what to make. Little did I know the injuries that I would incur! Hollandaise sauce - I have discovered - has a shit load of butter in it, but with all the whisking that you end up doing, I think you wear it all off.
After reading the recipe for hollandaise, I was a bit dubious as all I could see on the recipe was "care", "warning", "make sure"...etc. Holy crap! Well let's give it a bash.
The recipe is from "The Science of Eggs" I won't write it down here, when you can just click the link if you want.
My stupid oven again gave me the shits, as even though my sauce was on the smallest burner on the lowest setting, it thickened in like 3 seconds which I didn't expect! Any longer I would have ended up with an omelet.
 Adding the butter was the next pain. Just imagine you have like 225g of melted butter which has to be added a QUARTER TEASPOON at a time and then whisked thoroughly. Needless to say by the end of it, I have now added a electric bench mixer to my wish list >_<
As a result, my middle finger now has a blister on it which basically looks like I have a small caterpillar under my skin. The things I do for cooking....


But at the end of the day, it turned out really well! Man it tasted awesome. Again another problem, you can't actually keep Hollandaise sauce. Once you've made it, use it or throw it out! So after all that whisking, beating, sweat & blisters, the sauce went on the plate and then in the bin *sigh*.
Yesterday also started a search for fresh asparagas which ended dismally, couldn't find it anywhere! So we ended up with grilled toast, grilled ham till crisp, poached eggs and Hollandaise sauce. Beautiful.

Keep a look out for my next Blog today which will be Bruschetta for lunch. Till then....

No comments:

Post a Comment